Friday, July 20, 2012

I will always be there for you.

She looked off into the west, the gentle sea breeze blowing through her auburn hair.  The sun was just starting to set on the edge of the ocean and the water was reflecting the light brilliantly.  She stood on a rocky cliff that hung out over the water, massive waves crashing against the surface of the overhang hundreds of feet below her.  She wore a plain red dress with flat bottom shoes; her hair tied up in a red bow.  She was beautiful, but the tears streaming down her face made her makeup run, leaving dark streaks down her cheeks.  Her arms hung limp at her sides.  She simply stood staring.

In her right hand she clutched a small piece of paper folded in two.  It was wrinkled and torn in a few places, but the hand written note on it was quite legible still, despite the blood that was smeared across the page.  Written on that piece of paper was a letter from her husband, who was now dead.  He had gone off to the war.  Both she and her husband had been expecting the worst, but they couldn't help hoping for the best.  Still their goodbye had been filled with many tears and sorrowful goodbye kisses.  She had been dreading this day ever since she had parted with him at the docks and she had watched him board that big ship and sail away.

She had been given the letter only an hour ago along with an official government notice of her husband's death.  Time seemed to freeze, and next thing she new she was standing here on the cliff looking out at the sunset.  This was their spot.  This was where they had spent much of their time on picnics, and where he had finally proposed to her.  It was where she had almost screamed yes in happiness and where they shared their first kiss at that moment.  It was also where they had spent the whole day together the day before he left for the war.  This was their spot.  She slowly raised her hand up that was clutching the letter.  She unfolded it once again and began reading it for the first time.  Se had read the official letter, but had waited to read her husband's hand written letter at their spot.

The letter read:

My dearest love,

I am writing this as quickly as I can because time is pressing and I want to say all I want to before I must go.  But know that every word I say I mean with the utmost love and care.  I miss you terribly, and my heart aches every moment that we are apart.  it aches especially right now as I write this because, my love, I know we shall never see each other again.  I want you to know exactly how I died, just in case the report you get doesn't get it right.  You'll most likely be told I died trying to drag a fallen soldier back to safety.  That is only partially true.  I don't want you to remember some false story about me when I am gone, but only the truth.  I am sitting here now with a bullet in my stomach my dear.  I was shot pulling a man to safety yes, but only after I was retreating.  We were ordered to fall back.  But I wonder if there is any honor dying in this way, retreating, rather than fighting.  My darling I want you to know the truth because I know that you will always love me no matter what.  But you must know the truth. The corpsman has patched me up as best he can, but he and I both know I will not make it.  So there you have it, the accurate version of how I died.  Make of it what you will, I just hope I died not in vain.

But now I must address the matter of you and I parting ways.  Know that you are the only woman I have ever truly loved.  God blessed me beyond my wildest dreams by bringing you into my life.  I thank God even at this very moment for all that he has done for me.  I ask only one favor of you my dear, please do not cry for me.  Do not mourn for me.  My death is but a part of God's wonderfully perfect plan, and sorrow is not the right choice of emotions.  Rather, be joyful, knowing that God indeed does have a perfect plan for both you and I.  Take comfort that you and I shall meet again in glory one day my darling.  Also, know that no matter what happens, whether in death or life, I will always be there for you.

With every last bit of love my body can muster,
Your husband

She was no longer crying when she finished reading the letter.  Her last tear fell from her face but no more came forth from her eyes.  Instead she was smiling as she read and reread the last paragraph of the letter over and over again.  She pressed the letter to her heart and looked up to the heavens where a lone star was just poking out into the darkening sky.  It twinkled at her and she let out a laugh.

"Thank you, God," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment