Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Quiet Room

The nothingness was interrupted by a bright light.  He squinted and covered his eyes with his hands as the sudden change blinded him.  He sat on the cold concrete, alone and friendless.  As his eyes adjusted he saw two men towering over him.  One man held a small cup and a glass of water.  He knew what was in the little cup, and he didn't like it.  The other man held a clipboard.  He knew it was filled with lies and horrible things about him.

"Time to get up," said the man with the clipboard.

"Time to tak your medicine," said the other man.

"No," he said defiantly, "you can't make me take your poison.  I won't let you!"

"Now Sam, don't start that again.  Aren't you tired of being in the Quiet Room?"

"No, you can't make me!  I won't do it!  You'll have to kill me first!"

"No one is going to kill you, Sam.  Just take your medicine, it will make you better."

"Lies, you're just lying to me.  STOP LYING TO ME!"

The two men looked at each other and nodded.  They left the room and closed the door behind them, cutting off Sam's continuous yelling.

"What are we going to do Doctor?"

"He won't take his meds, and he's been in there for two days already...we can't keep him in there forever.  We'll have to find someone he trusts."

"I know someone."

"Who?"

"Richard."

"Who's Richard?"

"Richard is Sam."

"I see...you think Richard will take the meds?"

"I'm on good terms with Richard...next time he comes around I think I can convinve him."

"Make it happen Greg, he needs those meds before it's too late."

"I'll do my best Doc, I'll do my best."

They walked away, Sam's yells getting fainter with every step.

No comments:

Post a Comment